[rescue] BSD's for Ultra and 20's

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Fri Sep 13 12:41:09 CDT 2002

Brent B. Powers wrote:

>A couple of months ago, there was no small amount of discussion on the
>relatvie advantages of NetBSD vs. OpenBSD on Sun's. I'm interested
>specifically in an Ultra1, as neither handles sparc SMP (RSN, I'm
>sure), and all my 32 bit sparcs are multiproc.
>
>So, does anyone recall the upshot? I recall the statement that the
>network stack on either was far superior to linux, and maybe that the
>context switching on Net(?) was better than Open???? Is there a
>general preference?
>
>Cheers

I have never run NetBSD, so I can't really comment on it, but I find
OpenBSD to be very nice on Sparc and Sparc64. The Sparc64 port is fairly
recent, so (from what I have read) it is a little slow. But I don't know
if that takes into account the recent changes (Sparc has had a lot of
development very recently).

Personally, I like OpenBSD. As a matter of fact, I am installing the
latest snapshot of OpenBSD on a SS5 right now.

shawn