[rescue] SS20 MP question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 20:53:48 CDT 2002

I didn't realize that Sun's license/restrictions/whatever limit the
free Solaris to machines with a capacity for only *one* CPU, by strict
interpretation, an system that can take more than one CPU (like an
Ultra 2, say) in not valid, even if you only have one CPU *installed*.

They use the word "capacity" - not "installed"...

Just an interesting Nit to Pick (tm)

Lionel

--- jodys at helluin.org wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 11:49:43AM -0400, John Ruschmeyer wrote:
> > A quick question about multiprocessor SS20's and Solaris...
> >
> > I'm considering adding a second CPU to my SS20 which will soon be
> > running Solaris 9. According to the license for the free download,
> > Solaris is only free on single CPU systems and that for multiple
> CPUs, I
> > am required to purchase a license.
> >
> > Out of curiousity, is there anything in the download version which
> > blocks the use of a second CPU or will it work, but just not be
> "legal".
> > (This is a personal hacking box, not a production system or server,
> if that makes a difference.)
>
> Nope, two cpus runs just fine, it's what I'm typing this on. And yes
> you will
> be techicnally violating a licsense.

=====
Lionel