[rescue] Identifying SGI in picture for interests sake

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 10 19:09:00 CDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> It seems that it would be expensive to add more than 2 internal and 6
> external disks to an Octane though, not to mention having so many high
> performance disks on a single UW chanel (refering to the 6 external
> disks).

I bought Hitachi 73GB SCA discs.  I don't need many.  I get excellent
performance out of the two that I have internally.

Meaningless benchmark:  I have a 40GB MP3 collestion.  I mirrored the
collection onto the Octane (so that I could use that 40GB IDE disc
elsewhere).  I then rebooted both systems and asked Windows to give me
the total folder size of the local collection and the collection on the
Octane.  Asking for the local collection took approximately four times
as long!

> I couldn't say.  Pretty everything is out of my price range.

Same here, but I can dream, can't I?  I am, however, going to sell off
as much kit as it takes (save the Octane) to afford a Powerbook G4.  I'm
sick of not having a laptop, since the majority of my work is done
onsite, and the customer NEVER has their shit together[1] enough for me
to get the work done the first time.  At least a floppy containing PuTTY
and pscp has found a permanent home in the center console of my car.

[1] "Do you have an SSH client installed on any of these machines?"
    "A what?"

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)