[rescue] Identifying SGI in picture for interests sake

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 10 18:51:31 CDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Why not a Sun of some sort?  Given prices and hardware availability, it
> seems saner.

XFS is nicer than UFS, and I have an Octane.  I'd need to buy a Sun to
house these discs.  Samba and NFS play just as nicely on IRIX as they do
on Solaris.

I'd probably have used a Sun if I had a U60 or U80 instead of an Octane,
as I have no real preference between the two for fileserving.  I haven't
played with a U60 as a workstation, so I don't have any opinions at all
there.

Actually, my prefered fileserver would be an E450 or an E3[05]00--
relatively compact deskside systems with all sorts of wonderful room for
internal storage devices.  An O200 would be nice, too, but second-hand
O200s seem to be almost as expensive as moderately-loaded used E3000s.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)