[rescue] IRIX/SGI opinions of O2 for graphics?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Sep 10 18:18:48 CDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 06:09:24PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > Does it look like files from GCC and MIPSPro are going to be able to be
> > cross linked anytime soon?
>
> C and FORTRAN stuff is still hindered by that structure-passing bug.  At
> this point, I don't expect the GCC team to ever fix that blunder.  C++
> stuff will never be able to be cross-linked.  This is by-design.
>
> So, I have one tree of software built with MIPSpro (which is a -lot- of
> software), and one tree of software that I'm building with GCC 3.2
> (GNUstep and its dependencies) so that I don't run into any nasty bugs.
>
> > An O2 or Octane is on the list of things to consider getting, but it
> > won't be soon.
>
> Unless you want to play with video I/O, go with an Octane.  The price
> drop from an Octane to an O2 simply doesn't make up for the difference
> in performance.  PVO and DVO are still quite expensive, so I wouldn't
> pick up an Octane for playing with video.

Yeah, but I want video IO, so an O2 might just be better.  But then
again, maybe a cheap linux machine with fast disks and a faster still
network connection to the Octane would be better (then again, faster
than 100mbit connections to octanes probably cost more than the PVO).

I may just end up getting a mac, where video IO cards are affordable,
and Objective C is standard.

> > if Gnustep is something I could really use yet, and how hard it is to
> > create binaries that don't relie on gnustep being installed.
>
> GNUstep is supposedly quite usable now, but there aren't many apps.
> GNUmail looks like it's really getting there, and the Workplace is
> almost complete, so it'll make a nice shell.  As for apps that don't
> require GNUstep--you'll need to static-link against any GNUstep libs
> that you use, or just include those .so files in your distribution.

I'm not picky about wanting GNUstep apps.  I just want the development
tools.  I'm not even that picky about wanting the GNUstep gui code.  I
just want Objective-C, and a lot of the behind the scenes libraries I
was shown.

--
Joshua D. Boyd