[rescue] IRIX/SGI opinions of O2 for graphics?

nick at snowman.net nick at snowman.net
Tue Sep 10 11:05:01 CDT 2002

I'm trying not too.  Just FYI the o2 GFX support came via the SGI-VISW
support, which as you pointed out also uses the cobalt GFX.  X runs, it's
just borring old X on FB support, there were a few bugs initially, but
those are worked out.  On o2 there are still some quirks with the ethernet
driver we're trying to track down.  SGI-VISW is starting to bitrot because
so few use it, but as far as I know it's still functional, if not as good
as it was.  Please don't make claims against linux unless you know what's
going on.  For now the o2 port is low profile, and has received minimal to
no support from SGI, and I don't expect to get any as o2 is dieing.  There
are a few major apps missing (mozilla, because of something about "missing
multigot/xgot" which I don't quite understand), but in general app
availability is far far far better than irix.
	Nick