[rescue] They're back! -> They're gone! -> They're CueCats!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 05:48:49 CDT 2002

The CueCat is *fine*, it is the software that is a pain...

The CueCat is the lowest-cost barcode reader I've ever seen, but it was
also one of the stupidist schemes I've ever seen (and to bridge topics,
it was used by Radio Shack, because, we all read their catalog and want
to look-up items without having to type in those what, seven-digit
SKUs!)

IIRC the CueCat puts out a slightly garbled version of the barcodes it
reads, and conversion software/algorithims are easily found on the
web...

Lionel

--- Stephen Sandau <ssandau at bath.tmac.com> wrote:
> > > OTOH, another Late Addition is on page 3:
> >   http://www.bgmicro.com/lmad3.htm
> > where they have CueCats for $7.95.  I wonder how much
> > they'll pay me for *my* free piece of crap CueCat that
> > I never got around to doing anything with...
> >
> I got one for free, too, and was mildly curious until I found that it
> was really just a tracking device for advertisers. I never used it.
> I'll gladly sell it to them for half of that $7.95 ;) Just to stay
> slightly OT, I never had the urge to hook it to my SS5.

=====
Lionel