[rescue] IRIX/SGI opinions of O2 for graphics?

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Mon Sep 9 16:54:00 CDT 2002

vraptor at employees.org wrote:

>All this talk about IRIX and SGI's has gotten me curious.
>
>I have an O^2 here at home that was cobbled from parts
>when the SO was contracting with SGI (talk about disfunctional
>companies...but that's another story).  I've been toying
>with the notion of Linux on it.  However, the mention of
>Photoshop, et al availabe for IRIX kind of makes me wonder
>how the O2 would do with that kind of software.  Compared
>to, say, 400Mhz G3 with 8MB ATI Rage or similar.
>
>Since I have a derth of IRIX/SGI hardware knowledge, opinions
>would be appreciated.  Pointers to "RTFM sysadmin" also good.
>;-)
>
>TIA--
>=Nadine=

AFAIK, linux will only run on an Indy (and that is a stretch from what I
have heard).

Photoshop was available for Irix, but it required a license from adobe
(I assume FlexLM) which was specific to the machine and they are no
longer issuing them, so you have to find a machine with photoshop and a
license already installed.

I would think the G3 would be faster than an O2 at photoshop anyways.

You would be much better off with Gimp, which SGI offers on the freeware
site.

shawn