[rescue] They're back!

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 9 10:10:20 CDT 2002

> B.G. Micro has some of the $25 GPS engines in stock again:
>
> http://www.bgmicro.com/lmad.htm

Based on a project I've been involved with for $work, it
should be possible to run (RS-232 + power) over CAT5 to
one of these board/antenna combos over at least 100'.
I'm thinking of trying it for S&Gs (input to my NTP
server, I suppose.)

Anyone have a preferred source for the missing bits
(waterproof housing, cat5-to-db9 cable ends, etc.?)
I couldn't find all of them on BGMicro's site, although
they did have a 5V regulated wall wart on that same
page.  It's been too long since I did this sort of project
and I don't have such things just laying around anymore.

Alternatively, has anyone actually gotten one of these
up-and-running usefully and wants to share a short howto?

  --Rip