[rescue] IRIX installation

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Sep 8 13:26:36 CDT 2002

Could someone enlighten me as to the order in which one should feed the
various IRIX 6.5 CDs to the installer to make things work?

I have some disks labelled:

    Foundation 1
    Foundation 2
    Overlay 1 with installation tools
    Overlay 2
    Overlay 3
    Applications

Now, I'd think "Foundation" comes before "Overlay," but the Foundation 1
disk won't boot, while the Overlay 1 disk will.... So I installed things in
this order, which is obviously wrong:

    Overlay 1, 2, 3

Foundation 1 won't install anything, claiming conflicts.  Foundation 2
installs OK.  Applications won't install anything, claiming "prerequisites"
are missing.

After all this, the system boots, but EZsetup does nothing useful, and I
can't make it talk to my network even after following all the hints I could
find on the 'net.  I exect that's an installation problem, but WTFDIK.

If anyone can guide me, or point me to a resource that explains this, I'd be
grateful.

Thanks.

-Shel

--