[rescue] mysterious hard hangs, two different sun4m's

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Sep 4 20:21:26 CDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002 01:24:51 -0700 (PDT)
Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez <lefa at cats.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Thus putting a thermally sensitive device, which generates a LOT of
> heat, inside a nice insulator is not a good idea IMHO. Why am I amazed
> by all this? Well when I went to Fry's I saw these things for the
> first time, in the price tag they had written "Great for
> Overcloking!".

Actually, the heat transfer from hot air in the box, to the box, to the
air outside the box isn't very good, and if they put in a glass window
it would probably dissapate heat as well as painted metal.  The
overclockers that buy that stuff have all gone to watercooling anyway, I
know of some running waterblocks on processor and on hard disks.
Besides, what Fry's meant was "great for overclocking, like that big
exhaust tip is great for drag racing".

Tim