[rescue] mysterious hard hangs, two different sun4m's

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Wed Sep 4 15:26:04 CDT 2002

i'm wondering if there was some unusual sunspot activity last friday,
because things are just squirelly all over.  there was a power outage in
my neighborhood, which lasted several hours ("aw, crap, guess i won't be
telecommuting in my shorts today...").  so later that day at work our
netapp failed a drive, our A5200 failed a drive, our A/C unit started
leaking refrigerant, and when i got home that night and powered things
back up my son said he couldn't connect to msn messenger from his imac
anymore (yeah, i'll get right on that... :-P) and my sparcs were acting
bizarre, as reported in the post that started this thread.

as for strange interference, i can't imagine what from... the machines are
situated on a long bench; at one end there's a short dec rack with some
network gear and an old dec pdu with a neXt printer on top of that; then
bench itself holds the stack of headless ss20's, the ss4 w/monitor, and a
neXt turbo color that wasn't powered up.  underneath the bench were two
4/670mp's, both currently powered down, and a pair of neXt cubes, both
powered down.  i roll them to the other side of the room where they plug
into a separate pair of 20A circuits when i play with them.  so the only
equipment on that pdu, and on that whole circuit, were the three sparcs,
an old hp hub, and the cisco 675.  so just shuffling the machines a few
feet shouldn't have made any difference...  (time to get a digital camera
so i can add to the "geek computer rooms" collection.  mine's painted all
black - it really is a cave... :-)

just for grins, though, maybe i will physically move the machine and see
if that makes a difference.  it sounds crazy though... it's gotta be solar
flares.  ghosts.  cosmic rays.  karma.  government conspiracy.  compiler
bugs... i just need to sacrifice a chicken or a goat or a wintel box and
appease the sun gods who have cursed me... or maybe i just need a couple
of days off!