[rescue] FDDI go fast!

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Sep 3 12:27:43 CDT 2002

On 2 Sep 2002 00:37:30 -0000
jwbirdsa at picarefy.com wrote:

>    The verdict: if all you have is 3Com cards, don't bother unless
>    you're
> desperate.
>
>    Typical transfer rate between 3C805 cards: 120Kbytes per second.
>
>    Typical transfer rate between DEFPA cards: 2000-2600Kbytes per
>    second.
>
>    DEFPA cards *rock*.
>
>    I also discovered why the meter on my Cisco concentrator appeared
>    to not
> react to local transfers: the 3C805s could not transmit fast enough to
> register on the meter. Fooey.
>
>    --James B.

There has to be a firmware or driver issue somewhere, I can go faster
than that with a 10Mbit ethernet card on a quiet network.  I haven't
done anything with FDDI, but it has to be better than that, or somebody
would have a class action suit going against 3Com.  I know guys that get
almost that out of their cable modems.  I don't know much about FDDI,
other than it is a token ring, but could there be a fight going on
between that model card/firmware, and the concentrator/firmware?

Tim