[rescue] Stupid SSA question

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Thu Oct 3 19:14:57 CDT 2002

I don't know the 1010 specifically, but generally...
If it's HW RAID, there may be disk firmware requirements.
If it's JBOD, probably.  In either case, you'll just
want to make sure your per disk wattage/BTU specs are
similar to the original disks, or you will have over-
heating issues.

>From my recent research on this topic for JBOD Andataco
trays, I think the upper boundary, if you want to be con-
servative, is 7200RPM disks.  The peak wattage/BTU specs
on 10K RPM disks is significantly higher for active.

The 10K 1.5" disk is the only one I had full BTU and Wattage
specs for.  I extrapolated the BTUs for the Fujitsu disk
and the 1" Barracuda based on the BTU/W ratio for the 1.5"
Barracuda.

36GB Disks          Active/Idle     Act/Idle BTU
10K 1.5" Barracuda  20.85W/13.35W   71.2/45.6 (3.415 BTU/W)
10K Fujitsu         20W/14.5W       68/49.5 BTU est based on
					ratio below
7.2K 1" Baracuda    ?/6.85W         ?/23.39 BTU est.

I suppose I could also extrapolate that the active Wattage
of the 1" Barracuda was at the same active/idle ratio as the
1.5" Barracuda.  That would give an estimate of active wattage
of 10.7W and 36.54 BTU output for the 1" Barracuda.  *Signifi-
cantly* lower than the 10K RPM disks, even if it's off by as
much as 25%.

As an aside I find it really annoying that Seagate has both
active and idle stats available for some disks, but only idle
for others.

=Nadine=