[rescue] Re: SPARC memory query

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Nov 29 10:19:46 CST 2002

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 01:42 AM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>   The "PC compatibility" requirements also require some low-level
>> stuff...the way interrupts and DMA work, A20 madness, etc.  For how
>> many years did the "640K barrier" severely hamper PC hardware and
>> software development?  Quite a few...spawning such horrid abortions as
>> LIM Expanded Memory (an ancient and slow windowed bank-switching
>> scheme) and crap like that.
>
> Oh the pain.  Your causing flash backs.

   Oh, sorry. :-(

>   I was so happy when I was
> turned towards DJGPP.

   Yeah that was nearly magic, wasn't it?  DJ Delorie is one one of the
embedded systems mailing lists that I'm on...sometimes I feel like I'm
in the midst of a celebrity. :)  The way I see it, he was the guy that
made it possible to write software in a "reasonable" way on a 386 box!

       -Dave