[rescue] Re: Re: San Antonio, TX area rescue

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Nov 29 00:46:27 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 08:19:12PM -0800, Robert Novak wrote:
> > Yeah, that would be kinda cool.  Isn't that kinda what iSCSI does,
> > except over ethernet or fddi rather than over physical scsi cabling?
>
> I don't think iSCSI gives you the RAID and management, although I might be
> wrong. I'd been given to think it was more of a bus implementation. (This
> is TOMA, mind you).

I'm not sure what's needed in the way of management, but I assumed that
RAID in iSCSI would either come from the file that is shared as a device
by iSCSI is on an array, or you could mount several drives by iSCSI and
raid them together.  But, I haven't actually looked at what's available,
this is just what I thought what I heard meant.  This isn't really my area.

> I wouldn't be surprised to find that someone was doing a Linux-based
> storage server. I know it's been done commercially, but I don't know of
> anything cheap for the purpose.

I'm surprised we don't hear of it more.  I wonder how hard it would be.

--
Joshua D. Boyd