[rescue] Re: San Antonio, TX area rescue

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Nov 28 21:16:50 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 09:09:40PM -0600, Eric Dittman wrote:
> > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2073869520
> > >
> > > Woah nelly!  This item would rock.  A shade under 3TB for $500 with a
> > > day to go.
> >
> > Yeah, i had it at $500. Was considering rebidding.
>
> With the price of drives constantly dropping, I'm hesitant to
> buy an big proprietary storage unit.

Which part of this system are you refering to?  I was under the
impression that the whole shibang would talk to a standard machine, and
that all the drives were standard.  I guess I might question using
proprietary controllers, but then, if you bought 3, why not consolidate
the drives and save the extra controllers for spares.

> I'm surprised there's not an open source storage controller
> project to turn a Linux or *BSD system into one.

Yeah, that would be kinda cool.  Isn't that kinda what iSCSI does,
except over ethernet or fddi rather than over physical scsi cabling?

--
Joshua D. Boyd