[rescue] Linux

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Thu Nov 28 21:10:20 CST 2002

> >    The OS is part of the history as much as (some might even
> > venture to say more than) the iron it runs atop.  If all we want
> > to do is run *BSD (to pick a random OS), we can run it atop the
> > latest PeeCee silicon available.
>
>    Agreed...but given a choice (and we ALL have the choice, no matter
> how much we may try to claim otherwise) wouldn't you rather run it on a
> real computer, and get some performance and stability? ;)
>
>    Running modern software on classic hardware can be very interesting
> and educational in itself, because for many years, hardware advances
> far outstripped those of software.
>
>    That said though, I'll be running RSTS/E on my PDP11/70 when I can
> cut that new system disk.

That's why you need two! I like to have one that runs the most
fun/stable OS and one that runs an "historically correct" OS. Sometimes
they are one in the same. Personally, I want to learn different hardware
and different operating systems, not just how to run Linux or *BSD on
anything.

I have IPXs that run Solaris 7, SunOS 4.1.3 and NetBSD, all for
different reasons. My HPs all run HP-UX (10.20 and 11) because there's
no reason to run anything else on them. I can run Linux on anything
else...

--
Steve Sandau
IS Technician, TMA Bath, Maine