[rescue] Linux

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Nov 28 19:41:08 CST 2002

On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 08:27 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>    The OS is part of the history as much as (some might even
> venture to say more than) the iron it runs atop.  If all we want
> to do is run *BSD (to pick a random OS), we can run it atop the
> latest PeeCee silicon available.

   Agreed...but given a choice (and we ALL have the choice, no matter
how much we may try to claim otherwise) wouldn't you rather run it on a
real computer, and get some performance and stability? ;)

   Running modern software on classic hardware can be very interesting
and educational in itself, because for many years, hardware advances
far outstripped those of software.

   That said though, I'll be running RSTS/E on my PDP11/70 when I can
cut that new system disk.

        -Dave