[rescue] Re: Linux

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Nov 28 15:46:09 CST 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Bill Vinson wrote:

> Fairly impressed with the installation.  However, Sun's tools seem dog
> slow (Sun Management Console - do I have that right? I am not at the
> box).  I believe this is probably due to the use of Java. I also have
> tried PatchPro and it just hung on me.  The tools seem nice but I am so
> far unimpressed.

I think you'll find a lot of Solaris people don't use the GUI much. I
don't remember if I've ever used PatchPro either.

> The fact that it doesn't come with a compiler is an
> annoyance (or I just haven't found it yet).

www.sunfreeware.com, look for "gcc-3.2" ... or if you've downloaded the
Solaris Software Companion (or if you have it in the media kit) just
install it and add /opt/sfw/bin to your path.

http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc9.html#gcc

> So far, I see very little that makes it more impressive than Linux or
> BSD.  I can understand it feels more comfortable to someone more used
> to Solaris.  It also is obviously a mature OS, however, I don't feel
> that much of it seems more stable than Linux or *BSD.  Just a note, I
> am ignoring high-end computing in these assumptions as my basis is
> simply from a home user who doesn't need enterprise scalability nor
> did I grow up with Solaris.

I've run Solaris, SunOS, OpenBSD, and Linux on my Suns at home, and these
days I lean toward Solaris 8 or higher on anything UltraSPARC. I feel more
comfortable with driver support for Sun hardware under Solaris, and I
think the MP architecture is better tested than under the others, although
YMMV. And yeah, I have MP stuff at home for my own pleasure. :)

I'm all for anything else on sun4c, and maybe on sun4m, but I don't run
those platforms at home anymore.

--Rob (who wishes he'd grabbed that spare U5 from work. Sigh. Anyone got
one to trade for something PCish with an Intel cpu? :) )