[rescue] Waht is a decent Sun Workstation

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Wed Nov 27 21:25:32 CST 2002

Kevin wrote:

Well, depending on what you use your machine really makes a difference.

You may be fine with your SS20 if you picked up a higher speed
processor, more ram and a faster disk. But with the UltraX prices
recently, you could probably pick up a decent U1 or even U2 for a
similar price.

As for Ultra's it also depends on what you are going to use if for.  A
U1e 200 can be a decent machine, but is Sbus based. As is a U2. Since a
U2 is a dual processor machine, it depends on how much your OS uses that
second processor. Either machines are nice, but maybe a little slow
depending on what you need.

After that, you start getting into the PCI based Ultra's. Personally, I
would avoid the U5 and U10. They are not of the usual Sun quality and
they use IDE disks (which could be a benefit if you _need_ the space).
Personally, I love my U30 (which is actually around the same price as a
U10. It's PCI, can take gobs of memory, fast disks and can run Dual headed.

So, depending on your budget and what you need, I would recommend a U1/2
or a U30. I would stay away from 5's and 10's.

IMHO

shawn