[rescue] Motorola AIX (was: Strange OS for strange machines)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Nov 26 21:49:28 CST 2002

"Al Potter" <apotter at spankingnuns.com> wrote ...

> chris at yonderway.com said:
> > Hey there Schultz, sprechen sie english?
>
> Urr?  Kannst du nicht Deutsch verstehen?  Was f|r ein Geek bist du, da_ du
> kein Deutsch sprechen kvnnen?!?

Heh.

Long ago and far away, I was walking across Hanover to the Messegelande to
work our booth at CeBit.  Massive show in those days: 26 buildings, say
450,000 attendees over 9 days.  Not like piddly little Comdex.

There'd just been a massive blizzard the night before, and the snow was
piled up about 2 feet (0.66 meters) high between the road and the sidewalk I
trudged along.

Set the scene ... I'm walking along, bundled up, the only pedestrian in
sight.  A big BMW coming toward me is the only car ditto.  He swerves over
toward me, probaby to ask for directions or something, manages to nip the
snowbank, and ends up high-centered on top of it.  Right-front wheel
dangling, still spinning slowly.

I'm standing there.  The tinted window oozes down, and the chap in the
passeger's seat gives me a blast of German, a language of which I seak only
the words with which I replied:

"Ich spreche nicht Deutsches"

The window just rolled up again, and they sat there.

-Shel