[rescue] OK, "pull" backups work. How can I read the tape?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Tue Nov 26 16:31:19 CST 2002

Doing a little research on how to do backups to a remote tape drive, I came
upon the "pull" idea:

To back up the machine foo to the tape drive on machine bar run

    rsh foo ufsdump 0fb 126 - /usr | dd of=/dev/rmt/0n bs=126b

on bar, which works fine.  I'm using it to back up an SGI machine to a tape
drive on a Solaris box, so the actual command I'm using is

    rsh blinky xfsdump -l 0 -F - / | dd of=/dev/rmt/0cn bs=126b

Which also works fine, as far as I can tell.  At least I usually get no
error messages.

However, were I actually to need the files on the backup tape, how would I
read 'em and restore 'em?  The tapes on a Solaris box, the files would have
to be restored to the SGI ....

Thanks.

-Shel
--