[rescue] needed: cable/DSL router

Rob Harhen Axthrower at fozzy-networks.com
Fri Nov 22 21:26:52 CST 2002

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 08:57:19PM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 18:40, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
>>

>>>I am looking for a decent quality cable/DSL router.
>>>
>>>Suggestions are welcome.  I only need two ethernet ports.
>>>

>>IMHO, a little box running netBSD will do a much better job than one of
>>those little linksys/d-link/SMC/whoever boxes.  But that's just me.
>>

>It has to be up, all the time.  A failure means I have to drive at
>least 20 minutes to fix it.  Maybe a floppy based picoBSD setup would
>be a good idea, though.
>
>Cordially

Having a floppy in the field like that has allways been a pretty scary
concept for me..
You can put togeather a mini-itx system with like a 32MB CF card and a
really slimmed down version of openbsd or freebsd and ipf/ipnatfor
pretty cheep and without all that much effort and end up with a pretty
small enclosure, I currently have a workable freebsd setup in under 20
MB with ipf and ipnat that works pretty flawlessly. If your interested
send me an email

Rob Harhen