[rescue] firmware on segate drive...

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Nov 21 07:21:54 CST 2002

"Paul Hortiatis" <ph009J at mail.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Does any one know of a way to flash the firmware on a Seagate Barracuda
> drive #ST19171N?
>
> It seems the drives have propriatary firmware posably from a storage
> system that is preventing them from being used as a singel drive in a
> computer.
>
> is it even posable to Flash a drives firmware with a normal scsi card?

With the correct firmware, and the correct utility, flashing the firmware on
SCSI cards os fairly easy.  However, I have yet to see Seagate make firmware
available to the general public.  I ran through this a few weeks ago with
seom 36GB drives from Seagate that I bought off of an eBay seller.  I
discovered that they were encoded with Tandem firmware almost immediately,
and grew quite disgusted after all the drives failed to function in every
single system I stuck them into.

I ended up returning the drives and getting my money back, but not without a
minor scrap.  Don't beat yourself up over this, if you bought these from
someone, and they weren't advertised as having non-Seagate firmware, demand
a refund and send the drives back.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com