[rescue] ooh, pretty

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 15:24:05 CST 2002

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 8:52 pm, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 19, 2002, at 03:36 PM, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> > hmm I've seen r10k's 195mhz for cheaper or equal value...
> > This one only has 75mhz...
> > just keep on digging in the deep e-bay grounds of neat hardware...
>
>    This isn't an R10K though...this is an R8K.  R8Ks are particularly
> interesting processors, and machines built around them are
> particularly rare.

A researcher I was acquanted with used to run large compute jobs taking
several weeks to finish. She switched to a dual R10K Octane and 1 run
later switched back to a Power Indigo2 (with a 75Mhz R8K).

Don't fall into the trap of assuming Mhz=speed (Dave obviously knows
this) ... a quote from a supercomputing centre looking at the R8000
said that it was half the clock speed of the R4400 but 4 times the
speed (probably just looking at fp perf).