[rescue] Video cable

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Nov 19 12:19:09 CST 2002

[ On Tuesday, November 19, 2002 at 00:04:00 (-0500), vance at neurotica.com wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Video cable
>
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > [ On Monday, November 18, 2002 at 23:29:39 (-0500), vance at neurotica.com wrote: ]
> > > Subject: [rescue] Video cable
> > >
> > > Anyone know where to find 3w3 -> VGA cables?
> >
> > do you mean 3W13 as in Sun/NeXT/IBM/Apple?  (or those 3-pin-coax DEC
> > connectors?)
>
> It is what you describe as a "3-pin-coax DEC connector", but it's actually
> on an IBM RS/6000.  The sync-on-green-only connector.

Ah ha!  The last RS/6000 workstation I had anything to do with (which
was back in about 1994), had an IBM D-shell 3W13 (like the Sun, NeXT,
and Apple ones, but of course with a different pinout).  Until now I
hadn't seen or heard of the 3-connector coax shell used as video
connector on anything but DECstations.

Those worstationexp.com / nudata.com folks do have "3W3" connectors that
look about right on their custom cable worksheet.  I doubt it's cheap.
You'd also have to figure out the pinning of course....  It's probably
easier to scrap a pair of cables with the right ends and build your own.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>