[rescue] How to find the failed chip(s) on a VME 1102 board?

Adam Kropelin akropel1 at rochester.rr.com
Sun Nov 17 11:19:46 CST 2002

Hi everybody... I powered up my 3/280 this morning for the first time in about
a year and popped it into diag mode to make sure the hardware was as happy as
it was the last time I ran it. Alas, it appears I have one or more failed
chips on one of the 1102 memory boards:

Memory Test (Testing 0x00000020 MBytes)  Testing Meg #00000004
 Err 18: CE on Memory Brd 00000000, Bd Addr = 0x0040000F, Syn bits =
00000052.

(As an aside, it's a little annoying that the test refuses to continue when it
encounters a *correctable* error. It would be nice to know what other chips
might be failed, too...)

Can anyone point me to a reference on how to convert the failed address into a
part designator so I can replace the right chip? I've made a guess but I don't
really want to whip out the soldering iron unless I'm sure I'm spending my
time on the right chip.

Alternately, does anyone have an 1102 (or larger capacity ;) memory board
they'd be willing to part with? A trade would be easier and less error prone
than replacing the chip, methinks.

As always, thanks in advance...
--Adam