[rescue] Ultra 1 Mice & 411 Tape Drive removal questions

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 17 00:53:58 CST 2002

Thank you to everyone who offered assistance with my further excursion
into the world of Sparc hardware. I now have a SPARC 5 running OpenBSD
3.2 that is acting as a server and a build station. My more recent
acquistion is the Ultra 1 140.  Someone did swipe my internal CD cable
so I will probably want to track down a replacement, but for now I have
a rigged 411 Tape case hooked up with a Plextor CD-R for booting.
I now have Solaris 9 running on it which will give me my first serious
chance to remember Solaris in quite a few years. Having lots of fun so
far :)  Anyway, two questions:

1.      I have a Sun 5c keyboard (Spent 3 hours removing all keys and
completely cleaning it, wow am I obsessive or what? :) and a Type 5
mouse. Well, I had an old mirror mouse pad for an optical (not sure what
type), but it isn't quite right for the type 5.  It is rather scratched
up, but depending on how it is oriented, the mouse will either go
up & down well or it will go left & right well, but never both at the
same time. I am looking for a decent price replacement, but I have heard
a printed mousepad can be used in a pinch, but have yet to find any such
image to download?  Anyone have any pointers here?  What mice is the
Ultra 1 compatible with?

2.      How do you get a tape drive with 5.25 adapter out of a 411 case?
I want to replace the tape drive with the Plextor, but so far I have yet
to find a way to remove it.

Thanks,
Bill