[rescue] My new toy in Laurel MD!

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 15 08:01:10 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim H." <lists at pellucidar.net>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 4:06 AM
Subject: Re: [rescue] My new toy in Laurel MD!

> Maybe I'm talking about a different model, or maybe the US one is
> different, but there is a Land Rover (oh, excuse me, Range Rover) in the
> US that does not have a low range.  It really is targeted at the yuppy
> market and not set up for functionality off road.  A true Suburban
> Assault Vehicle.  It could very well be different in the UK, frequently
> vehicles with good qualities have them all removed for the US market.

Are you referring to the Land Rover Freelander perhaps? It's a small
sport-utility vehicle, really more of a car-like vehicle. IIRC this
model does not have a low-range, but it does have descent control,
which is an automatic mode that uses engine braking and selective
brake application to maintain slow speeds while descending. Supposedly,
even this model has decent off-road abilities.

The Discovery, which others have been mentioning, really is a true
Land Rover. It's quite capable off-road, but it doesn't have all the
luxury features of the top-of-the-line Range Rover. Yeah, lots of yuppies
drive it, but it is a true off-roader. Just like Porsche or Ferrari do
not make any non-high-performance vehicles, Land Rover does not make
any non-off-road vehicles.