[rescue] Fw: Quick low-tech question

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Nov 13 19:52:48 CST 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:04:59PM -0500, Michael Free wrote:
>    Tomorrow I'm finally setting up my Axil 245 (sol 2.5.1) with a 13W3-SVGA
> adapter into a KVM, and using a Turbo GX framebuffer. The quick question would
> be, If I have a serial null modem cable hooked to the PC and a comm program
> running, while I've got the monitor setup hooked to the framebuffer, will I
> still get output on the monitor, or am I stuck with the serial terminal
> emulator only?

If you boot the system without a Sun keyboard plugged in, console output will
go to the serial port.

If you boot the system with a framebuffer, monitor, and keyboard all
attached, console output will go to the kb/monitor/etc.

If you boot the system with no framebuffer, but a Sun keyboard plugged in,
OUTPUT will go to the serial terminal, and input will occur with the Sun
keyboard. [1]

Only the first two examples above are the "proper" way to do it. 8-)

Bill

[1] really, I had this happen on an Ultra 2 once.  took me a minute to figure
    out what was going on..

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net