[rescue] My new toy in Laurel MD!

Al Potter apotter at spankingnuns.com
Tue Nov 12 20:31:15 CST 2002

kurt at k-huhn.com said:
> At the Uwharrie
> trails I would regularly motor right through stuff in my Bronco that
> would completely bind up a Hummer.

Uwharries?

That's HOME!

> Really?  They must have been doing it wrong :)

As much as I hated `em, I agree.  If the civ versions are the same, driving
a hummer in the slop takes some training.  There's a "locker" in both diffs,
so you should never fully loose traction unless all four wheels are off the
ground.

What a lot of folks never learn is that the driver sometimes must ride the
brakes while gently accellerating in order to get the diffs to lock.

Sounds wierd, but as it was explained to me, its a quality of the type of
limited slip (a gleason torsen design IIRC) gearing in the diff.

Then again, it could have been total BS.  I've never actually had one of the
diffs open to see inside.

AL