[rescue] Re: Fast Ethernet vs. SS2

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Nov 11 22:59:23 CST 2002

[ On Monday, November 11, 2002 at 18:57:50 (-0600), Scott Newell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Re: Fast Ethernet vs. SS2
>
> At 06:42 PM 11/11/2002 -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
> >You may be right about the full-duplex Greg but he can still take some
> >of the networking load off of the CPU by using a card that is faster
> >than the SBUS speed.
>
> Isn't sbus on the ss2 20 MHz x 32 bits?  That's a heck of a lot more than
> 100 Mbits/second.

Yup, but there's one hell of a lot more to putting ethernet packets on
the wire and taking them off simultaneously than just bus speed.

Remember too I said "useful" -- maybe you could run a ping flood with
big packets in both ways to/from some other host on the local switch and
get decent wire utilization in both ways, but that's hardly useful.  :-)

My little SS2 has a hard enough time keeping 10baseT full when it's
doing useful work.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>