[rescue] Fast Ethernet vs. SS2

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Mon Nov 11 22:50:57 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 22:38, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Monday, November 11, 2002, at 11:22 PM, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
>
> > Probably a good choice. OpenBSD (at least, I don't know about NetBSD)
> > seems to have less than ideal HME drivers. Under OpenBSD my friend
> > wasn't able to get more than 20Mb/s in an Ultra1 (non-E) with a hme. It
> > actually peaked at 20Mb/s then slowly dropped down to 8Mb/s. I have the
> > identical machine and when he lent me the HME, I got 48Mb/s with
> > Debian.
>
> How long ago was this?  The sparc/sparc64 ports have been making a lot
> of headway over the last year.

Last night. He is running 3.2.

> Also, what were you doing to come up with these numbers?  I'd like to
> try and reproduce on my U5.

FTP. Not sure what server he was using.

I was running Debian 3.0 (2.4.18) with ProFTPd 1.2.5rc1 on an ext3
partition.

He posted to misc a while back, but no one had any suggestions.

Now that 3.2 is out (hopefully my CD's show up soon) I am going to get
OBSD installed on my AXi and start setting it up for my web/mail server.

shawn