[rescue] DNS on SS2 OpendBSD questions?

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Sun Nov 10 21:11:28 CST 2002

nimitz at speakeasy.net writes:

>I know people are using OpenBSD for firewalls on Sparc out there but I
>was wondering if anyone was running both DNS and ipf on the same Sparc box?

>I've already got both an IPX and a SS2 running OpenBSD 2.8 at two
>different locations.  The one location is my home and I'm sure I could
>run DNS on it for my own use because that's not a large hit-rate.

>The one I'm curious about is a location (w/SS2) myself and a friend are
>using to start up a small business - it's bound to get some initial hits
>  and we'll replace it if it get's too bad.  I'm just looking for what
>to expect as far as load.

I'm not quite sure what the setup you're planning is, but at my
last job, an SS2 with 16 meg of ram running OpenBSD privided NAT
and DNS caching to about a dozen PC users, and was always at about
95% idle.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----------- When Heaven is full, the dead shall walk the earth. -----------