[rescue] DNS on SS2 OpendBSD questions?

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun Nov 10 21:04:22 CST 2002

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 10:02:12PM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > I know people are using OpenBSD for firewalls on Sparc out there but I
> > was wondering if anyone was running both DNS and ipf on the same Sparc
> > box?
>
> Not a lot of ipf out there on OpenBSD these days, except for people who
> run older releases of OpenBSD.  ipf was dropped ages ago.

It was dropped after 2.9 came out.  I think it was a licensing dispute.

PF has been quite nice during the small amount of time I have used it.
I have heard that in certain cases it is much more efficient than IPF,
but do not have personal experience with it.

> sun4c isn't getting much love from the *BSD or Linux guys anymore so
> you'll be stuck with older buggy distros complete with any security
> holes that have been found since their release and not patched before
> EOL.

I dunno, I am pretty sure that OpenBSD still supports 4c architecture.
And NetBSD too.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $39.99/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |