[rescue] Speaking of backups, scripting division

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Sun Nov 10 19:09:03 CST 2002

[ On Sunday, November 10, 2002 at 13:57:11 (-0500), Tim H. wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Speaking of backups, scripting division
>
> I personally would probably do the whole thing with PHP, and serve a
> page from the machine with a neat layout of the cron schedule for the
> next 24 hours or whatever. I dopn't like extra administrative email
> piling up.  hmmm, that actually might be a useful project....

I'd call it "reinventing wheels".  There are a half dozen or more
crontab luser-interface front-ends already available.  Just search
freshmeat.net for "cron" and/or "crontab".  As far as I can see none
have any benefit for anyone who can read and edit a five column table. :-)

The crontab file really is already in the very best possible format for
describing the schedule of events.

Cron does things on periodic cycles, not "at" some particular time.

If you want to do something at some particular time then you should use
the "at" command (which is generally driven by a periodic batch process
that's started by cron! :-).

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>