[rescue] Tape backup and amanda questions

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 9 17:25:40 CST 2002

On Saturday 09 November 2002 9:11 pm, Tim H. wrote:
> And last, I have plenty of tapes but I will need to acquire a
> cleaning tape at some point.  How often do these drives need
> cleaning, where is the most affordable place to get a cleaning tape,
> and how many cycles is a cleaning tape good for?

Depends on who you talk to. I believe Quantum says that the drives only
need cleaning when the cleaning light comes on (apparently there is
some built-in cleaning capability), but I've had another supplier say
they do need regular cleaning.

On the grounds that Quantum might know more about DLT drives that
others, I've been running a number of DLT drives under their cleaning
regime. No problems so far.