[rescue] IBM RS/6000 3CT

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sat Nov 9 09:47:51 CST 2002

Carl R. Friend [crfriend at rcn.com] wrote:

>    What's an RS/6000 3CT?  I have an RS/6000 220 (7011-220) that

Dave McGuire sent me this link on it:
http://www.neurotica.com/docs/rs6000/7030-3CT.html

67 MHz POWER2 based workstation.  Seems to have been on the high end in
its day.

> runs AIX 3.2.5 that happily accepts a PS/2 keyboard with a couple
> of caveats.  One caveat is that you'll get no sound.  The other
> is that you'll have to use the internal diagnostics to remap the
> keys every time you boot.  I believe the program (on the 220) is
> "dkbdsal".

I'll have to look into a VGA adaptor for the frame buffer, then.  Or,
(as Dave mentioned) find an SGI monitor.  The former is more likely to
happen.  Since I have no monitor, I'm using serial.  I actually don't
expect to run a head on the box, anyways -- just trying to get the thing
going.

>    That's "service" mode.  You use that when you need to run thorough
> diags or use an alternate bootlist.  You do the latter to (re)load
> software or boot into diagnostic mode (which you machine doesn't
> seem to have loaded).

You're kidding.  The diag mode has to be -loaded-.  Great. :(

>    That's what the LEDs are for, silly.  ;-)

Seriously?  There's nothing output to the screen until later in the OS
boot stages?

>    Bummer.  You're going to have to find either a backup (a special
> bootable one created by a "mksysb") or a distro (and appropriate
> iron to read it) and boot into a "limited function maintenance
> shell" (the closest AIX has to "single-user mode").  From there,
> you can import the root volume-group (getrootvg), mount the root
> on the internal disk and edit /etc/security/passwd to reset the
> root word.

Ugh.  So, I have to ask, is there anywhere I can get install media for
cheap?  A quick eBay scan reveals I'd have to pay between $100 and $200.
That's a bit rich for me right now.

>    Contact me off-list for the gory details - unless everyone else
> is interested, that is.

Might be worth it for the archives.  I'm sure I won't be the last to ask
this question...

Thanks for the response!

Mike
--
"Would you like to take advantage of wiretap Wednesdays?"
     -- Fed on Sealab 2021