[rescue] Help: Recovering from a fubar IRIX kernel tuning.

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Nov 9 08:44:47 CST 2002

On Saturday, November 9, 2002, at 07:11 AM, Tim Chong wrote:

> Sorry to trouble you all but I think I have screwed up big time on my
> Indy while doing some kernel tuning.

Does the system boot at all?  What's gone wrong since you started
tuning?

> Now the problem is I somehow DID NOT make a backup of the /unix file
> before the reboot. Is there a way to recover from the mishap short
> from a total reinstall? IRIX 6.5.17m

Something you could try is booting into miniroot from the installation
CD, and copying the /unix file from there onto your root slice.  Then,
once the system is booting on its own, back up /var/sysgen/stune.  Edit
/var/sysgen/stune to delete everything that -isn't- commented-out, and
regenerate the kernel with "/etc/autoconfig -f".  Unless you've
modified files in /var/sysgen/master.d by hand, this should give you
the default IP24 kernel.

Once your running normally again, you can use your backup of
/var/sysgen/stune to figure out where things went wrong.

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems