[rescue] Arcade Machines

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Nov 7 07:46:24 CST 2002

On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 15:50:34 -0600
Mike Hebel <nimitz at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Rob Harhen wrote:
>
> > I 'rescued' an atari systems I cabnet from the town dump a while
> > back, has the game 'Road Blasters'.  With the lack of keys to open
> > the thing, the universal key (slide hammer) came out. After getting
> > the thing open, powersupply is dead, fortunatly it just needed a 5V
> > supply so an old AT power supply worked great.  Only thing left
> > broken is the gas pedal.. kinda
> > important as the gas pedal is the 'start' button for the game, so
> > currently
> > its a 326 lb paper weight in the basement.
>
> Seems to me that that's probably just a potentiometer of some sort.
> You can probably find some note on the web about repairing it.
>
> Mike Hebel

I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to fix, all the cabinets I have
experience with are mechanically simple, and use standard components.
The pretty much have to, that's the only way to get affordable
reliability with the kind of abuse they have to handle.

On the [off]topic of Arcade Machines, for us poor people it is much more
efficient to have a single cabinet with lots of games, hence my Mame
cabinet. Anybody else here have one?  Mine is currently 1 player fully
equipped, 2nd player doesn't have a full set of buttons yet, and the
cosmetic finish work needs to be done.  Unfortunately my lack of job has
really lowered the priority of arcade buttons.

It is definitely a much nicer experience to play arcade games standing
up with real controls.  It is also a valid justification for my only
Windows machine, because my daughter finds it much easier to play her
edugames on it with the big trackball.

Tim