[rescue] AS400

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 5 22:28:16 CST 2002

--- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>    Now, I'm not a big AS/400 fan...but your statements here are
> nothing
> short of completely ridiculous, and if I didn't know better, I'd
> swear
> you were trolling.

No, not trolling - my suspicions were repeated by Eric:

"The software is licensed and coded, so for a hobbyist getting
a valid OS can be difficult."

Which I take to mean, that the CPU has a serial number, and the license
has a "life", after which it needs to be repurchased (it expires).

> > OK - But I think software will be, uhm, challenging - IBM is very
> good
> > at making sure they get paid for their software...
>
>    Well, if he doesn't have an OS, sure.  Dude...if I can get Unicos
> for
> a Cray supercomputer, I'm sure someone can find a copy of OS/400.
> Come
> *on*.
>
>    And that's even assuming his machine doesn't have an OS.  I don't
> recall having heard him say it didn't.

Dave, I've prefaced all my statements (and if I didn't, my bad, I meant
to) by saying "if you don't have an OS"... He never said one way or
another...

=====
Lionel

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now