[rescue] Discussion Question (was Fast Terminal Servers?)

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Nov 4 17:28:23 CST 2002

> On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Tim H. wrote:
>
> > e. I run DHCP/Dynamic DNS to save configuration time
> > f. I have multiple subnets, to keep my architectures and physical
> > topolgy separate
> > g. Home?  I live in the network closet at work.
>
> f2:  I run multiple subnets so that I can keep all of my kids' machines in
> a locked down DMZ.

I'm an f3.  Ethernet, token-ring, and a smattering of SLIP and PPP for
some of the oddball boxes.  Lots of serial RS-232 for the old beasts.
Does DECNET count for anything other than proving I'm strange?  XNS
(for the Clippers - Hi, Kris!)?

> e isn't worth it for me.  Negligable benefit and additional annoyances.

   I've got DHCP but not DDNS.  DDNS messes up the nice formatting
in the zone files.  So I'm nuts....

> g isn't worth it.  Life is too short as it is.

   Too right.

> ObTermServer: Portmaster 2E, 30 serial ports, boots from flash.  Lousy
> form factor but it's bulletproof.  Wyse 150 on the main console port for
> emergency access.

   Telebit Netblazer - boots from floppy.  Dog stupid, but it works.
At least it speaks SNMP....

> BTW, hi Carl.  I remember bumping heads with you long ago on Usenet.

   Ah, yes.  The dreaded "C doublecross" exchange.  I remember going,
"Not that sig-file" in a very monty-pythonesque manner for some time
afterwards.  Pleased to see you again.  I hope all is well.

   Cheers.