[rescue] U1e Dead Ethernet

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Nov 4 17:21:13 CST 2002

Hrm.  It looks like the onboard transceiver on my U1e has gone south:

   ok test-all
   Testing /sbus at 1f,0/SUNW,hme at 0,8c00000
   Internal loopback test -- succeeded.
   Transceiver check  -- failed

I googled around and followed the hints outlined on a Sun-Managers
thread mentioning the same problem, but that didn't get the net working.

What irks me is that this is a replacement board from Sun (per the
heatseak/fan issue) and has been in use all of two months.  However,
since the machine itself is way out of warranty and I don't have a
service contract, I'm going to need to get this fixed via other means.
Is it possible that it's a dead fuse or something easy to replace?  I'm
not used to Sun kit simply crapping out on me.

Assuming the onboard transceiver really is dead, where would I find a
transceiver that would plug into the MII port?  eBay turns up
completely dry, and most of the places I've found via Google don't have
prices listed, which typically means "if you have to ask, and can't
order them in lots of 1000, it's going to hurt."

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems