[rescue] Discussion Question (was Fast Terminal Servers?)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Nov 1 08:20:34 CST 2002

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 09:10:18AM -0500, Tim H. wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:19:32 -0500 (EST)
> "Carl R. Friend" <crfriend at rcn.com> wrote:
>
> >    What's the matter with TFTP or MOP booting?  Have you no LAN?  ;-
>
> OK, Where does everyone fit in the home LAN picture?
>
> a. I have a computer which can have an optional network interface
> b. I share an AOL account with my significant other with a crossover
> cable
> c. I have a linksys router/hub and a few computers
> d. I have wired and wireless segments
> e. I run DHCP/Dynamic DNS to save configuration time
> f. I have multiple subnets, to keep my architectures and physical
> topolgy separate
> g. Home?  I live in the network closet at work.

In this house we have actively running 9-11 computers at any time.
Sometimes more, rarely less.

We have a LanPlex2500 switch connected to a bunch of computers via
10baseT.

We have a netgear router/switch connected to the lanplex by
100baseT.

We have a DSL model connected to the netgear by 10baseT (so
yes, the single 100baseT link serves the 640k internet connection).

We have an 8 port hub connected to the lanplex.  It is sits in the ceiling
of the guest room, which is next to my office.

>From that hub, we provide network ports in the guest room, the family
room, 3 to my parents office, and soon one to my bedroom (finally found
the plate and ports I wanted for the room, just need to drop the cable
now).

We have a Sun IPX running NetBSD acting as a DHCP server so that for the
most part someone can plug their notebook in and run nothing more than
winipcfg or the mac equivelent to get their notebook on out network.
For some reason my uncle's iBook wasn't as coorperative as most of the
other machines we've had visit were.

There is no wireless.  Everything is in the 192.168.0.* range.  FDDI is
coming soon, but I've been saying that for about a year now.  More
serious rollout of 100baseT is coming when I can afford a nice 100baseT
switch.

--
Joshua D. Boyd