[rescue] looking for an sbus 64meg memory expansion

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue May 14 12:00:27 CDT 2002

> for my sparc 2. i can find 32 meg cards, but not the piggy-back 32
> which gives 64, nor a full 64 initially.
If you really have an interest in updating an SS2, then good luck--
I've not seen many of the 64MB cards sell complete (with all cables
and etc.) for less than $75.  For that price one can pick up a
SPARC LX on eBay plus 2x32MB and 4x16MB 72-pin FPM Parity SIMMs,
and have a faster system with 128MB.

Actually, if the person for whom I put together an LX doesn't
claim it for me in the next week or two, I'll have one available
for the price of shipping--onboard video is either disabled or
disfunctional, but it's otherwise happy.

Are you *really* trying to get that SS2 up to 128MB because you
love it?  Nothing wrong at all with loving older hardware--but
the cables to connect the expansion cards are so easy to break
that you may be past the point of diminishing returns.  It sure
would seem as though putting the same amount of $$ into an LX
or such might be more productive in the longer run.

  --Rip