[rescue] [offtopic] Cisco 2501 and "subnet mask bug"?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat May 4 09:46:30 CDT 2002

I have a weird situation where I borrowed a 2501 for a month from
someone and put it into service on a T1 line.

With it are 32 IPs.

The weird part is that (apparently) no one not on the same subnet can
reach any of the machines IF the first part of the IP address starts
with the same number.

That is, if I had 32 IPs on 172.16.32.xxx no one from 172.*.*.* would
get through.  All other IP addresses work however.

Is anyone familiar with this bug?  I have found Cisco's site tough to
navigate, and then, just when you think you have found the problem,
the link is password protected.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net