[rescue] SGI Power Challenge XL update + misc auction

ghub005 at xtra.co.nz ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Tue Mar 19 11:31:58 CST 2002

Hi Bill

I'm actually based in Melbourne, Australia (I'm translating the prices I pay from AUD into USD). I think the auction market here is so good for me because no one wants to touch unix system hardware. In the last few months I've made some almost unbelieveable buys.

I scan the major metropolitan weekend newspaper each week to get details of the upcoming auctions. Then I hit the auction company websites to see what is coming up in the online catalogues. I also make friends with the auction company warehouse-men (they will often show me interesteing stuff several weeks before it goes to auction).

I also talk to fellow auction buyers and attendees. It appears that I've developed a bit of a reputation for buying unix system hardware and people will oftem ask me if I'm interested in pieces of equipment they don't want but had to buy as part of a job lot or tender etc (I found a pallet of used HP 9000 A400 systems just by doing this).

Regards,

Gavin Hubbard

<<
Just of curiosity...where do you find these auctions?  Right now I only
find old machines when friends who have been around longer get tired of
their stuff or run out of room and offer it to me or if I see something
on eBay.  I would love to get some of this cool hardware but I guess I
don't know where to look?

BTW, I live in Cary, NC (suburb of Raleigh the capital and 1 of the
three cities that make up Research Triangle Park)
This is such a tech heavy area that it seems we must have a scene for
older hardware, but I must just be oblivious :)

Thanks,
Bill