computer building? was[rescue] Noise levels

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Jun 19 10:56:07 CDT 2002

Now this is a thread which may have practical application in my
situation.  Currently The computers in my computer room aren't the
problem, the 3Com Superstack II switch 1000 is the noisiest piece of
equipment I have ever heard.  I can't begin to imagine what a closet
with a rack full of these things would sound like.

But that is the current situation.  I am assuming I will find a job
relatively soon, and we are on schedule to finish off significant short
term debt next summer, and I am planning to build a building.  It is
going to be 1/3 garage-workshop and 2/3 computer collection.  I'd like
to get down to a computer per family member and a couple laptops in the
house, and move everything else out.  So, given a blank sheet of paper
(say 20x30 feet) how would you lay it out, with these goals in mind. Oh,
8 foot ceiling.

Computers need to be spread out with their own heads, so multiple people
can use them simultaneously.
Desk/shelving needs to be versatile enough to allow pretty much any form
factor, from shoebox to rack.
Above worksurface will be shelves for all the docs, software, books,
etc. I manage to accumulate.
Cable routing needs to be neat. (I was thinking of wrap around power,
floor channels for network)
I would like a reasonable quiet room, I am thinking more like a library
than a server room.
I would like to keep it cool without AC, I'm in NY, near PA border, S of
Rochester.
Walls will be stud construction, 1-2/3 story building, with storage on
second floor.
Windows on one side would be nice, other side will be against dense pine
woods, windows not needed.
Rack venting to outside is possible, for things like the 690 MP.
Lighting NOT flourescent, any affordable low heat options?
It will be all home built. (volunteers welcome :-))

I'd like to get this right the first time, to avoid expensive/messy
remodeling.

Obviously, things like no AC may be impossible, but that's my wish list.

Tim