[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 12 19:29:11 CDT 2002

On June 10, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > It's not my 8/I, but maybe the -8 information is of interest to
> > > the denizens of this list - even though these systems are of no
> > > practical value whatsoever these days.
> >
> > All right, let's start the "anchor pool" on how long it takes
> > for Dave McGuire to 1.   Read the above and 2.  Explode [[BOOM!]]
> >
> > I might have said "limited utility these days".
>
> I don't think I've ever heard Dave suggest that we try to use a -8 for
> real work in this day and age.  It could be used for typesetting,
> emailing, and web browsing, but I doubt he would want to, or else he
> would be using a new FPGA based -8 clone instead of a G4.

  I don't *need* to say it, Josh.  There are hundreds of them in
everyday use even today, some of which haven't gone down or been
rebooted in years.

  Don't fix it if it ain't broke, and "upgrading for the sake of
upgrading" is bogus.  And moving something from a real computer to a
Windoze box isn't "upgrading" anyway.

  Learn it.  Know it.  Live it.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                       "*BURRRP!*  Mmm...tastes like cannoli,
St. Petersburg, FL                    smells like garlic!" -Sridhar